Lights. Camera. Go!!!
Enter your team of up to 5 people, or go solo in Young Film Academy’s Short Film Challenge. Over the course of a weekend (10am-5pm Saturday & Sunday) & guided remotely by industry professionals, you’ll learn all the filmmaking basics before setting off on your own filmmaking adventure!
You’ll be given a line of dialogue and be told of an easily accessible prop which you’ll need to creatively incorporate into your film. Then, it’s a race against the clock as you shoot your film, ready for post-production sessions with our tutors on the second day. There will be an online YouTube Premiere of the completed films and an online awards ceremony after the challenge.
Learn from the pros and compete for an incredible £500 worth of vouchers to spend on your next bit of filmmaking kit from CVP.com, one of the UK’s leading suppliers of filmmaking cameras and equipment. So what are you waiting for? Book today, if you’re up for the challenge…
Young Film Academy’s Short Film Challenge pricing is on a per team basis. Min-Max team size for this course is 1-5 students. The number of students in your team does not affect the price. Your team must be in the same location as only one online connection to the course will be provided per team.
– Build your filmmaking team (up to 5 students, including cast) or take up the challenge solo!
– Register for the challenge at the bottom of this page and follow instructions via email.
– Join us via Zoom on day one as our industry professionals guide you through the process with classes on cinematography, writing and story structure, as well as editing and post production on day two.
– Every team will be given the same line of dialogue and be told an easily accessible prop they will need to incorporate into their short film (which can be up to 5 minutes in length).
– Use equipment you already own to shoot and edit your movie over the 2 days. We’re on hand to steer you in the right direction, and teach you all the skills you need!
– Upload your finished film before the deadline to be in with the chance of winning.
– Films will be judged by our jury based on storytelling and technical quality, not on available resources.
– Join us for the online premiere screening and awards ceremony after the challenge has been completed. There will be a winning film from each age group (10-13 & 14-17), with a £250 CVP.com voucher awarded to each winning teams. Teams can split the voucher code so nobody misses out.
Ding Dong Merrily on high, it’s time to make a movie! Join us for this Festive Short Film Challenge, and make your own jolly blockbuster, or something with a twist… Learn from the pros and take up the challenge to compete for prizes worth £500.
Saturday 12th – Sunday 13th December 2020, 10am-5pm (UK Time)
Online premiere and awards ceremony: Saturday 19th December 2020
You’ve got to be kidding me!?! Bring out the laughs (and ROFL-copters) whilst putting your audience in stitches, in this April Fools Short Film Challenge. Learn from the pros and take up the challenge to compete for prizes worth £500.
Saturday 27th – Sunday 28th March 2021, 10am-5pm (UK Time)
Online premiere and awards ceremony: Saturday 3rd April 2021
– an internet connection capable of reliably streaming video
– a Zoom account the student(s) can use
– any camera device (e.g smartphone, iPad, DSLR, video camera etc) capable of recording video and sound
– a laptop or desktop computer capable of editing your footage
OPTIONAL: additional filmmaking equipment you may have that could be used
Max and Jake loved the remote course! Max loved it and he learned so much. He is truly passionate about filmmaking and to be able to share what he’s learned so far, have his films professionally critiqued but also to develop his skills was just fantastic – even when it came to sorting critical IT issues 🙂
Thanks so very much to Dan and the team. The boys loved it.
Dear YFA team, Thank you so much for turning this difficult time into such a positive experience. I was so worried about what to do with the kids when their school closed and they were stuck at home, but over the last four days they’ve had an incredible time learning new skills and were really engaged with the whole filmmaking process. Knowing that we could let them get on with it by themselves was a huge relief. The movie they produced was brilliantly creative (not sure about my cameo though…!) They’re determined to do a music video next, so we will be in touch very soon. Thanks again!
The girls had a lot of fun making their music videos and we all loved watching the final result. The tutor Nathan was great, he had lots of patience and stayed very calm. I thought the remote course was also explained very well.
The Young Film Academy was a huge success for Henry. He used the skills he has learned to set up a film club at school and the seven of them are working on a film
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to you and the whole team for making last weeks course so enjoyable for my daughter. She was thrilled to be part of it and is now fired up even more to get going with her own film making.
We are proud to partner with our sponsor CVP.com, one of the UK and Europe’s leading provider of filmmaking equipment, including professional cameras, sound recording devices, microphones and grip equipment including tripods, dollies and more! They are offering £500 worth of prizes per challenge, with £250 going to the winner of each age category. Winning teams can split the voucher code amongst themselves or purchase something together.
See dates for all our courses here: