BFI Film Academy
BFI Film Academy
APPLICATIONS FOR 2018/19 ARE NOW OPEN!
Are you 16-19? Passionate about film? Want a career in the film industry?
If so, the BFI Film Academy is for you. This course offers you the chance to be part of our future film industry.
Young Film Academy (YFA) is proud to be a partner in the BFI Film Academy Network. Young Film Academy will be running a 10-day course of filmmaking sessions (23rd, 24th, 25th October, 3rd, 4th, 10th, 11th, 17th, 18th, 24th November) in Barking and Dagenham, East London. The 20 most passionate and promising young filmmakers who apply will be selected.
For more information about the course see below.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Download the application form from the PDF Links box at the bottom of this page
2. Complete the application form as a Microsoft Word document (.doc)
3. Send an email to email@example.com with the subject heading: “YFA BFI FILM ACADEMY APPLICATION”
4. Ensure that your completed application form is attached to your email in PDF or .doc format
5. If your email has been received, you will receive a response from us within 7 working days to confirm that we’ve received your application
6. DO NOT CALL VIA TELEPHONE TO REQUEST CONFIRMATION THAT YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN RECEIVED. CONFIRMATION WILL BE SENT VIA EMAIL ONLY.
7. Applications will close on Wednesday 17th October 2018
Age: You must be aged 16-19 on October 23rd 2018
Course Venue: Barking & Dagenham College (Campus TBC)
Course Dates: 10 days (10am-5pm):
23rd, 24th, 25th October
3rd, 4th, 10th, 11th, 17th, 18th, 24th November
Course Fee: £25*
NOTE: This course is subsidised by BFI and the Department of Education. Film LBBD will also cover the course fee for local B&D youngsters.
*If you will struggle to pay the course fee, don’t be put off as you will be able to indicate this once you are accepted on the course and bursaries are available.
We particularly welcome applications from students with disabilities or those from an ethnic minority background.
Young Film Academy are offering a practical course in short fiction filmmaking, based in Barking and Dagenham, in which participants work in teams to create films for a showcase cinema screening for the public.
As a student of the YFA BFI Film Academy:
• you will get hands-on filmmaking experience which will help you to develop practical knowledge and skills
• you can explore your own creativity and passions in a supportive and dynamic environment
• you will gain invaluable experience working alongside industry professionals who are respected practitioners in their field
• you will watch a range of cinema from British Independent to specialised films
• you will work in a team towards the completion of a professional movie
Once you have completed the Network course, you will become part the growing BFI Film Academy alumni network with access to events such as BAFTA career talks. You will also have the opportunity to complete a qualification on the course.
Run by film industry professionals, participants will benefit from their tutor's guidance and inside knowledge of how to break into the industry. The course contains workshops and masterclasses from some of the UK’s top film experts.
The course concludes with a showcase screening, organised and marketed by the participants, who will create their own distribution strategy for their film.
Bursaries will also be made available if you require assistance with travel, child care or other costs. More information about who can apply for bursaries can be found here.
What’s more, you could also apply for one of the BFI Academy's six intensive residential programmes. Courses last between one and two weeks and are designed to develop more specialist filmmaking skills. You will work closely with leading industry professionals who will give you a unique insight into the filmmaking business and guide you along the way.
During the course, participants will also achieve an NFCE Qualification: